Friday, February 27, 2009

Recipes I Want to Try Out (and the next MCB)

Welcome once again to the latest in the world of RaUM,

Every time I go to my aunt's house in Newark, the family is treated to a wonderful meal where everyone eats well, there are drinks a-plenty, and enough desserts to make your belly burst. Some of the desserts are staples available at every gathering while others are experiments that may or may not make the rotation for the next get-together. One of the new additions to the dessert list is a modified cheesecake. It's basically a thin cheesecake cut into small squares like a brownie. Being a bit of a cheesecake junkie, I had to ask my aunt for the recipe. Turns out it's a Paula Deen recipe that my aunt adopted after watching the Food Network one day: Savannah Cheesecake Cookies.


(Here's the pic from FoodNetwork.com)


It is delicious! The decadence of a cheesecake without the heaviness that can come sometimes accompany a large wedge of cheesecake. I personally love how the crust stands out so much more. For me, it's the thing that brings the whole cheesecake together. A bad crust can ruin a piece of cheesecake for me (let's be honest for a sec... a lot can go wrong with a cheesecake.. it's not limited to the crust). The pecans are a nice touch and add a nice texture to the overall "cookie".

It's super easy to make. It bakes quickly. And can be easily decorated to look very pretty on the table though this dessert still looks inviting even without any garnish!

I will definitely give this one a shot the next time I have company over.

Another recipe I've been dying to try my hand at (and have been very lazy to start up) is ajiaco. Now granted, with the weather warming up this isn't necessarily the optimal meal so if it's gonna go down, it has to be soon. For those of you who are not familiar with ajiaco, click here.

(This is one 'interpretation' of ajiaco)


One of the few vivid memories I have of being in Colombia - both as young child and later in my pre-teen years - was the seeing the dining room table (and occasionally a side table) full of food. A delicious spread of food for the entire family. All those years spent in the kitchen, perfecting recipes with generations of Gonzalez children, allowed my grandmother to present us with the magic that is her cuisine during my stays there. I regret not being more curious about the prep work and doing more hands-on cooking while I was there. The only recipe I really "learned" was how to put together empanadas just before you throw them into a pot full of hot oil. Which, for the record, is a great lesson in and of itself... lol.

Years ago, I scoured the internet trying to find a recipe that reminds me of my grandmother's style of ajiaco. My mother had also attempted to make one using my father's faulty memory for the ingredient list. It was ok... but it needed something... more. It's hard to say what was missing. I think I'll just go back to some Colombian recipe sites and just pick one recipe and use that as my baseline ajiaco. If any of you have suggestions for where I may find a good recipe (or have a family member willing to give up their own personal recipe), please pass the info my way.

The last recipe in my "Top Three" that I want to try soon is another Food Network inspired meal. This one is by Ellie Krieger (star of Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger): Succotash with Grilled Scallops and Parsley Drizzle.



Need I say more? How awesome does that look?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This weekend's MCB (2-27) features two songs you may be familiar with already - Jason Mraz's I'm Yours and Mercy by Duffy. Boxer Rebellion makes another appearance on this list with Flashing Red Light Means Go.

Enjoy, ladies and gents!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Between grading lab assignments for my two classes and going out just about every day this weekend, I don't expect to post until maybe midweek at the earliest. Those of you who suffer from withdrawal symptoms when I do not post... you've been given fair notice. Then again you can always re-read previous posts. ;)

Have a great weekend!!! See you for the next entry...

Until next time, faithful reader

No comments: