Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Formula for Baby Nicknames + Another MCB

[Note: This entry was inspired by a close friend and his adorable offspring]


Welcome back friend,

(Verb)-y (verb)-er = Cute baby nicknames

Yes.

Believe it or not, that fairly simple and straightforward formula works pretty well for creating instant nicknames for infants and toddlers. It seems to be best used with monosyllabic verbs but that rule is not etched in stone so feel free to use it any way you'd like.

Here's an example of how the formula has been used: Over the past several months, my friend's daughter (who is now around 14 months old) has taken to grabbing things around the house. Hence, if we use the verb 'grab', she is now a "grabby grabber".

I'm sure once she starts drinking out of cups instead of a bottle, she'll be a "sippy sipper". She may only have a handful of teeth now but she is def a "smiley smiler". I can go on and on with this.

Clearly, this formula isn't quite as cute when used for the later stages of a child's development.
- Poopy pooper
- Screamy screamer
- Date-y dater (uh oh..)
- Kissy kisser (father's worst nightmare?)

And the list goes on and on, boys and girls.

Are there any other nicknames (cute or otherwise) that you've come up with using this formula? Share it in a comment below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today's Musical Coffee Break (02-12-09) is a laid back collection from known and not-so-known artists. On tap, we've got full songs from John Mayer, QotSA, Rosi Golan, Erin McCarley and song clips from Alicia Keys and Jazmine Sullivan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think I'm going to stop promising to post. When I announce an upcoming post, I do it with the intention of posting a new entry in the indicated time. However, it's just been so difficult to make time to actually do it.

I'm still adapting to my new work schedule. I quickly learned that the time a professor spends teaching isn't simply inside the classroom but also includes countless hours spent preparing lessons, creating assignments/exams, and grading assignments/exams. I knew this already going into the gig but the reality of it has finally hit me. This, coupled with the occasional night out (for those keeping track, it is no longer a nightly occurrence... lol), leaves me with little time to write up a blog entry.

I will likely limit myself to short entries, like the one you just read, for the foreseeable future until I adapt to this crazy time in my life.

Until next time, faithful reader...

No comments: